REVIEW | SUGAR & SPICED | EDMONTON


Birthdays are simply not birthdays without cake. As a kid, my birthday cake alternated between a DQ ice cream cake or one from the Chinese bakery (you know, the ones layered with copious amounts of whipped cream and fruit cocktail).

While I do have a soft spot for both, I have to say, this year definitely *took the cake*.


My dream birthday cake was made by none other than the talented Amy Nachtigall of Sugared and Spiced Baked Goods. And if you haven't heard of Sugared and Spiced before, where have you been?

I've been following Amy's Instagram for quite a while, so I was able to follow the journey of her brand grow from small home business to her own brick and mortar bakery located on Whyte Ave. One look at her feed and you can tell right away that these aren't your ordinary baked goods. They're simply epic


While sharing her beautiful creations on Instagram, Amy was able to gain a considerable following. Pretty soon, demand for her cakes grew, and she too, outgrew the kitchen space she was working out of. When Amy and her husband decided it was time to open up their own bakeshop, they turned to their followers for help. They opened a boostR campaign, a rewards-based crowdfunding platform that would allow them to raise enough capital to at least get the ball rolling.

Not only did they surpass their original goal of $20,000, they almost tripled it. And thus, Sugared and Spiced Baked Goods was born, opening up to the public mid-September.  


Since I was one of the many excited cake-lovers to donate to the boostR campaign, my reward was an epic 8" cake that I decided to claim on my birthday. (If I don't treat myself, who will?)

Ordering the cake was pretty easy, with correspondence done over email. Two weeks notice (at least!) is the rule, but more notice is always appreciated, especially if it's close to holidays or other special occasions. Make sure to book early to ensure availability!


In my email with Amy, all I had to do was specify flavour and colours, as well as any other special requests I had. A few days before, I received another email reminding me that the cake would be ready on the pick-up date that we had agreed on before.

Unfortunately, I was working on my birthday so my sister visited the bakeshop in my place to pick up the cake for me. According to her, the location of the bakery was a bit confusing to find at first, as the storefront is in an alley, and not directly on Whyte Ave.


When I got home from work, this baby was waiting for me. It was love at first sight.

I had mentioned wanting a pastel pink cake with pastel blue accents and Amy was able to capture the color scheme perfectly. The cake had pink drip, pink macarons (which had a delicious salted caramel filling), meringues (both baked and torched), pink and gold pearl sprinkles, and piped buttercream. It actually hurt me to cut into it.

Not only do the cakes look like a dream, they're delicious as well! If you couldn't tell by the cross-section, I went for my favourite flavour -- carrot! The cake layers were dense and rich, surrounded by thick buttercream. Definitely a treat-yo'-self! kind of cake. Even after cutting slices to give away to friends and family, there was so much cake left. It can feed an actual army.  

Some people may think the cakes run a little pricey, but this isn't your average cake that you pick up at the supermarket. Considering the work and attention to detail that Amy puts into each of her creations, the price tag is definitely worth it.


I wish I was there to see the bakery in-person because the space looks absolutely stunning in pictures. Reclaimed brick walls, rose gold accents, and a beautiful tiled floor (that people evidently like to take pictures of their shoes with).

Besides special pre-order cakes, Sugared and Spiced also sells a variety of baked goods in their storefront. The bakery lineup changes from time to time, but you'll usually find a variety of tarts, brownies, scones, cookies, macarons, and the like. Stay tuned to their socials to get a better idea of what they're serving up that day, as well as their opening hours which are still being finalized.

Thanks Amy and the team at Sugared and Spiced for making this birthday one to remember!


Sugared & Spiced Baked Goods
Rear - 10334 82 Avenue
Edmonton, AB
(780) 244-2253

Sugared & Spiced Baked Goods Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

- CT

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 


About

CT is a born and raised Edmontonian who started blogging as an excuse for taking pictures of her food.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf